Many people are suffering from psychological disorders in this world and you could be one who can help them in getting their normal life. If you want to treat mentally unstable persons, then choosing the DPM Psychiatrist course is the best option.
If you want to know in complete detail about this DPM Psychiatrist course then this blog post can help you understand this course completely.
So, the DPM Psychiatrist course is A Diploma in Psychiatric Medicine. DPM is a diploma course that makes you able to help in treating psychiatric patients. This 2-year diploma can be done after completing MBBS from a recognized university in India. We will discuss eligibility criteria in detail further in this post.
There are many colleges and universities that offer Diploma in Psychiatric Medicine course all over India. Let’s see more about this Diploma in Psychiatric Medicine in detail.
DPM Psychiatrist: Course Overview
Psychiatry is one of the specializations within the physician’s PG degree (Doctor of Medicine, MD). Like others, it is also the best professional career that allows you to treat mental illness, emotional & behavioral disorders in a person.
Many people suffer from psychological problems by birth or afterward. A Psychiatrist can treat them perfectly. These professionals will treat the people and make them normal.
You can become a Psychiatrist once you finish Doctor of Medicine in Psychiatry. Apart from that, you can study MD Psychiatry after completing your UG or PG in Psychology.
In addition to the above, there is an alternative to study Psychiatry, and that is Diploma in Psychiatric Medicine (DPM) from any state/central recognized college and university.
DPM Psychiatrist: Selection Procedure/Admission Process
If you want to study Diploma in Psychiatric Medicine or want to become a Psychiatrist, then you have to meet the eligibility requirements. They are:
- You have completed your MBBS course without any backlogs. If you have not chosen any specialization in MBBS, then you can opt for Psychiatry.
- You must have completed one year of internship after your MBBS or going to complete an internship before getting admission in this course.
- At the same time, the students who have done any course related to the medical field and are equal to MBSS, then they are eligible for doing DPM Psychiatrist.
- Those students who completed MD in any specialization related to the Psychiatric Medicines can also pursue a diploma in Psychiatric.
- You must secure at least 50% of marks in your MBBS course.
- The weightage of your eligibility increases if you’ve done a diploma in psychology. It will help you a lot in knowing the entire course structure of DPM Psychiatric easily.
- You must secure at least 50 percentile for the general category and 40 percentile for SC/ST/OBC (also PWD of SC/ST/OBC) in NEET PG.
Every year, colleges and universities release notifications for taking admissions into DPM Psychiatric Medicine. You can check out the official website of the college that you want to get admission and apply for it.
Clear the entrance exam conducted by the college/university. If you’re shortlisted, then they will call you for the document verification process.
You need to submit all the original documents and pay the fees specified by the concerned authorities to finish your admission process.
After that, they will intimate you when the classes start and the entire academic calendar. By the way, the course duration of the Diploma in Psychiatric Medicine is 2-years.
DPM Course: Colleges & Universities
A Diploma in Psychiatric Medicine or DPM Psychiatrist course is offered by many top universities and private colleges in India. You can go through the below college list and choose the best one as per your requirements.
- Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences, Maharastra
- Santosh Medical College, Uttar Pradesh
- Andhra Medical College, Andhra Pradesh
- Thanjavur Medical College Hospital, Tamilnadu
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai
- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
- Central Institute of Psychiatry, Ranchi
- Christian Medical College, Tamil Nadu
- National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences (NIMHANS), Bangalore
- All India Institute of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Mumbai
- Rangaraya Medical College, Andhra Pradesh
- Seth GS Medical College and Kem Hospital, Maharastra
- Kaloji Narayana Rao University of Health Sciences, Telangana
- Deccan College of Medical Sciences, Hyderabad
You can take admission into any of the above institutions if you meet their eligibility conditions.
DPM Psychiatrist Course: Syllabus
The core subjects that you deal with in the DPM Psychiatric course are as follows:
DPM Psychiatrist: Career Options
As we know, Psychiatrist helps in treating mental, emotional, and behavioral disorders. The career opportunities for DPM Psychiatric Medicine like other professional courses.
You can do social service by giving treatments in rehabilitation centers. Here, Psychiatrists treat patients whoever suffering from mental illness through counseling and psychotherapy.
If required, you can use the ECT (Electric Convulsive Therapy) or drugs.
Since the number of patients suffering from mental illness and psychological disorders is increasing day by day, career prospects are also increasing.
The various employment areas in Psychiatry are given below:
- Rehabilitation Centres
- Medical Institutes
- Health Care Centre
- Private Clinics
- Hospital Psychiatric Units
- Universities and Colleges
As a Post Graduate Diploma in Psychiatric Medicine, you can find the below job types.
- Medical Consultant
- Junior Doctor
- Medical Consultant
Salary After DPM Course
You can find jobs in various medical institutions, universities, hospitals, and other areas after completing DPM in Psychiatry. Based on the job and the institution, your salary may vary. You can get placed as a Psychiatrist in both government and private hospitals.
On average, the salary of the Psychiatrist in private hospitals ranges from 35K to 50K initially. It may be higher if you’ve scored a high percentage in this course.
DPM Course: Fees Structure
The fees structure of DPM Psychiatric Medicine varies from 5 lacs to 15 lacs in India for the complete course. As the DPM course fee varies significantly from college to college, you can visit the official website of the college or contact the college to know the total fees of the DPM Psychiatric Medicine for 2 years.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Which is Better MD or DPM in Psychiatry?
Both MD and DPM in Psychiatry are the same. These two courses are available in India at the PG level. Here, DPM is called a Diploma in Psychological Medicine and can be completed in 2 years after graduating from your MBBS. After completing it, you’re referred to as a Doctor of Psychological Medicine or Psychiatrist.
Can I Become a Psychiatrist Without MBBS?
No, it is not possible to become a Psychiatrist without completing your MBBS. Doing MBBS is the compulsory requirement to become eligible for taking admission into DPM in Psychiatry.
Is a Psychiatrist an MD?
Yes, a Psychiatrist is a Medical Doctor (an M.D .or D.O.) who will do specialization in mental health, emotional, and behavioral disorders. People will consult a Psychiatrist for getting treatment for several disorders.
Final Words: Conclusion
Finally, you got enough information about DPM in the Psychiatric Medicine course. You can check whether you’re eligible for pursuing this course or not.
Also, take a look at the colleges and their fees structure to get your admission done. Complete the DPM Psychiatry course in distinction to acquire the best job offer with the highest salary package.
If you have any doubts regarding this course, you can contact us at any time. Post your query, and we will get in touch with you within no time.
Want to know the information regarding any course? Then contact us through this blog. Share this post with your friends to help them in knowing about this DPM Psychiatrist.