Is it worth doing an MBA in Civil Engineering?
Is there any value of an MBA in Civil Engineering? Is there any scope for this?
If you are also having these questions and want to know what is an MBA in Civil Engineering in detail then continue reading this post.
It is very common to pursue MBA in Finance, Marketing, etc but we have rarely heard about MBA in Civil Engineering.
Civil Engineering is one of the most highly opted courses among all engineering branches that deals with designing, construction, and maintenance of structures like buildings, bridges, etc.
If you are interested in civil engineering and want to make a career in this field then combining it with the principles of management and pursuing MBA in civil engineering is a great option.
MBA in Civil Engineering is one such program which is offered to students already holding a bachelor’s degree in engineering.
This course provides the scope to apply both technical skills as well as managerial skills at the same time in the management of a company and several engineering projects.
MBA in Civil Engineering is a 2 year master’s degree course that is offered to students from engineering background.
Moreover, to acquire the required skills and knowledge students will have to choose from a variety of specializations that will increase their existing skills.
This is an advantageous upcoming course that has a mixture of all important concepts of two different subjects.
Some of the popular specializations of management that is provided in civil engineering are
|Sno.||Name of the course||MBA in Civil Engineering|
|1.||Course duration||12-18 Months/ 2 years|
|2.||Eligibility criteria||A bachelor’s degree in engineering (Civil Engineering branch) or related fields|
|4.||Entrance examination||CAT (Common Admission Test), GRE (Graduate Record Examinations), GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test), etc|
|5.||Average salary||12 LPA to 16 LPA|
|6.||Job Profiles||Building Control Surveyor and Planner, Project Manager, etc|
Eligibility Criteria for MBA in Civil Engineering
Before applying for an MBA in Civil Engineering course, you must ensure to fulfil the eligibility criteria required for this course.
These criteria estimate the abilities and skills of the candidates to determine whether they are eligible to undertake the course.
However, the eligibility criteria differ from one university to another as per their requirement.
Some of the important eligibility criteria for an MBA in Civil Engineering course is given below
- The students who have completed their 4 year degree of BTech in civil engineering and have achieved the minimum score asked by the university can apply for this course.
- A statement of purpose may be asked by the university to evaluate your clarity about the course and your future desires and expectations from that course.
- You may be asked by the university to submit a letter of recommendation from a professional who can testify to your credentials
- English proficiency is essential for international students hence, it is necessary to appear for any globally recognized English language tests such as IELTS (International English Language Testing System) or TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language).
Courses for MBA in Civil Engineering
Different forms of courses are offered for pursuing MBA in Civil Engineering as per the needs of the students.
These courses are designed by combining various majors and minors which provides skills to work in different fields.
Some of the popular MBA courses in Civil Engineering are listed below
- Master of Science in Industrial and Management Engineering – Service Engineering
- Masters Degree (Coursework) Engineering Science – Manufacturing Engineering and Management
- Master of Science in Industrial and Management Engineering – Design and Manufacturing
- Master of Construction and Infrastructure Management
- MSc Construction Management and International Development
- Master of Science in Engineering Management – Construction Management
- Master of Science in Engineering and Technology Management
- MSc Construction Cost Management
- Master of Engineering Project Management Advanced
- MSc Construction Project Management
- Master of Engineering Project Management Advanced
MBA in Civil Engineering: Specialisations
As we know civil engineering has various subjects and is a very vast field in itself therefore, it might be confusing to choose a specialization for an MBA in Civil Engineering.
You can choose these following specializations for MBA in Civil Engineering
- MBA in Real Estate and Urban Infrastructure
- MBA in Construction Project Management
- MBA in Construction Economics and Quantity Surveying
As you have already gained technical knowledge and expertise through your bachelor’s in Civil Engineering course hence, the above mentioned specializations will be the best option for you.
Syllabus of MBA in Civil Engineering
If you are curious to know about what will be the syllabus of MBA in Civil Engineering, here we have listed below all the important subjects:
- Project Planning
- Project Risk Management
- Project Identification and Selection
- PERT and CPM
- Basics of Project Management
- Project Management Information System
- Project Performance
- Measurement and Evaluation
- Organizational Structure and Organizational Issues
- Resources Considerations in projects
- Case Studies in Project Management
- Purchasing and Contracting for Projects
Entrance exams for MBA in Civil Engineering
Taking admission in reputed colleges for MBA in Civil Engineering is not easy and many colleges take admission on the basis of various entrance examinations.
For instance, CAT and GMAT are the entrance exams to test you on a wider perspective for getting admission in MBA in MBA in Civil Engineering.
The entrance exams for an MBA in Civil Engineering program are given below that you need to consider before applying
Is It Worth Doing an MBA in Civil Engineering?
In this topic we will answer all your questions like Why an MBA in civil engineering?
Why should one pursue an MBA in Civil Engineering? Is it worth doing? Let’s see.
Benefits of an MBA in Civil Engineering
- This course helps you to expand your Techno-Managerial skills hence, accelerate your career.
- This course increases your chances of getting hired for a senior position in management with a higher package.
- After doing an MBA in Civil Engineering course your chances of getting hired by renowned builders and manufacturers of construction materials like steel, paint, cement, hardware, etc.
- Having an MBA in civil engineering can diversify your management and organizational skills which increases career flexibility.
- By pursuing this course, you will also be hired by interior decorators, construction consultants and renowned architects to add value to the services they provide.
- It also increases your personality development.
Jobs after MBA in Civil Engineering
Pursuing an MBA in Civil Engineering can open up greater career options and job opportunities.These profiles have huge demand in every industry and have varying responsibilities.
Some of the popular job profiles that you can pursue after completing an MBA in Civil Engineering are listed below
Top Universities for MBA in Civil Engineering
While selecting a university for your MBA in Civil Engineering program, you might get confused about where you should pursue this course.
Undoubtedly, the university from which you get an MBA in Civil Engineering degree matters a lot. Hence, you might get confused when comparing various universities as per their location, rank, faculty, cost, accessibility etc.
Here we will provide you guidance to find the best university of your choice easily.
Some of the top universities which offer MBA in Civil Engineering are mentioned below
- Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
- Indian Institute of Management Bangalore (IIMB)
- Faculty of Management Studies, University of Delhi
- XLRI, Jamshedpur
- Indian School of Business
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Pune
Countries like the United States of America, Canada, Germany and Australia are popular for providing MBA in Civil Engineering programs.
In this article, we have clarified why an MBA in civil engineering is such a good career option and all the queries that you might have. Now you know what is an MBA in civil engineering, which exams you need to give, its benefits, job options after this course and the top universities in India and abroad.