Have you completed your B.Tech in Electrical Engineering recently? Want to become professional by specializing in your favorite B.Tech Electrical Engineering subject? Then studying M.Tech in Electrical Engineering is the right choice.
M.Tech in Electrical Engineering is a post-graduation degree that deals with a number of subjects, such as vehicular technology, VLSI Design, Remote Sensing, Machine Learning, etc. This 2-year full-time course is divided into four semesters.
If you want to know more about this M.Tech Electrical Engineering, then scroll down to the following sections.
Define M.Tech Electrical Engineering
M.Tech in Electrical Engineering is one of the best post-graduate degrees in Engineering. It is a full-time course that should be completed in two years.
It deals with different concepts of Electrical subjects, such as Electric-Optics, Laser Technology, VLSI Design, Ferro Electronics, etc.
The first and second semesters (first year) are completely theoretical, whereas the second year is practical that includes a project on any Electrical-related topic and thesis submission.
After finishing B.Tech Electrical Engineering, pursuing M.Tech in Electrical Engineering is the best option. You will become a master in various concepts like capacitors, inductors, resistors, etc. In addition to that, you can develop control systems, design circuits, etc.
Why do we choose M.Tech in Electrical Engineering?
Once you’re graduated with B.Tech in Electrical Engineering, you’ve several ways to become successful in your life. One of the best options is opting for higher studies. Yes, studying M.Tech in Electrical Engineering opens a huge number of job offers in both private and Government sectors.
Electrical Engineers play an important role in manufacturing companies. After completing your M.Tech in Electrical Engineering with merit percentage, the organizations or companies will recruit you with the best salary packages.
You can work in different areas, such as power electronics, structural engineering, system engineering, and many others.
That’s why we consider studying M.Tech in Electrical Engineering is a very good decision.
Admission Process & Eligibility Criteria
Have you don’t know how to get admission into M.Tech in Electrical Engineering? Don’t worry! We are here to provide complete information about the admission process of this course.
First, Students must meet the minimum eligibility criteria to pursue their M.Tech in Electrical Engineering. They are:
- You must have passed B.Tech or B.E in any engineering stream with minimum marks from a central/state-recognized college or university.
- There is no age limit to study M.Tech in any engineering stream.
- Even the students who are going to appear in their final semester or waiting for the results of B.Tech or B.E can also apply for M.Tech in Electrical Engineering.
Once you satisfy the above eligibility conditions, you can go through the admission process.
- You have to appear for the entrance exams, like GATE and exams conducted by the state boards (like PGCET in Telangana). In these entrance exams, you must clear them with merit marks.
- Some universities and colleges conduct their own entrance tests. If you want to study in those institutions, then you must clear them with the marks specified by those universities.
- Once you’re shortlisted, the management will call you for the document verification process.
- Some institutions conduct the personal interview process to shortlist the merit students. Based on the marks in the interview and entrance exam, they will give you admission.
M.Tech Electrical Engineering Syllabus
As we said earlier, M.Tech in Electrical Engineering drives you to get knowledge on all its essential subjects. That’s why it provides you with both theoretical and practical subjects.
In this course, you will have to study core subjects and some essential electives to be a master in this field. In the second year, you have to work on a project related to Electrical Engineering topics.
A final thesis project report has to be submitted at the end of the year. You have to give a seminar or presentation on the project and appear the final interview on your project.
Coming to the first year of your M.Tech in Electrical Engineering, you can study the following major subjects.
In M.Tech EE (Semester 1), the subjects are:
- Advanced Engineering Mathematics
- Electromechanical Device
- Advanced Power Systems
- Fundamentals of Control System
- Microprocessor and Computing
- Open Elective 1
In M.Tech EE (Semester 2), the subjects are:
- Power System Networking
- Power System, devices and protection
- Power System Measurement
- Thesis Paper
- Open Elective II
In Semester 3,
- Open Elective III
- Open Elective IV
- Evaluation of Project
- Evolutionary Technique and model simulation
In Semester 4.
- Project Evaluation
- Viva on the Project
Note: Since M.Tech in Electrical Engineering contains different specializations, the subjects may differ.
Following is the list of electives under the M.Tech in Electrical Engineering course.
- Mobile Technologies
- Robotics and Control
- Quantum Technology
- Data Networking
- Advanced Power Electronics
- Wireless Communications
- Optical and Photonic Technology
- Antennas and RF Systems
- Renewable Energy Technologies
- Artificial Intelligence
Core Subjects in M.Tech Electrical Engineering
Regardless of the university or college you choose, the following are the core subjects that you’ll study in this M.Tech Electrical Engineering course.
- Cyber Security
- Power Electronics in Power System
- Special Electrical Machines
- VLSI Technology and Design
- Power Engineering
- Analysis and Control of Electric Drives
- Industrial Electrical Systems
- Circuits and Microcontrollers
- Advanced Protection of Power Apparatus and Systems
M.Tech Electrical Engineering Specializations
Before going to take admission into M.Tech in Electrical Engineering, you have to know a clear idea about your specialization.
It contains different specializations that deal with numerous concepts of electrical engineering. These specializations cover almost all the core topics, such as VLSI Technology and Design, Circuits and Microcontrollers, control systems, etc.
According to our knowledge, the following are some of the best specializations in M.Tech Electrical Engineering.
- Power Systems and Power Electronics
- Process Control and Instrumentation
- Electrical Machines and Drives
- Systems Engineering
- Communication Systems
- Micro Electronics and VLSI Design
- RF and Photonics
- Power and Control
- Instrumentation and Signal Processing
- Integrated Electronics
Fees Structure in India
From college to college and university to university, the fees for M.Tech in Electrical Engineering vary. The starting fees range from 20,000 to 2 Lakhs per Annum.
Based on the infrastructure, facilities, and faculty also, the fees will be different from one institution to other. The fees structure in some of the top universities/colleges are:
- BITS, Pilani – 4.30 Lakhs per Annum
- IIT Bombay – 20 K to 40 K per Annum
- Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore – 26,600 per Annum
- IIT Kanpur – 2.14 Lakhs per Annum
- IIT BHU, Varanasi – 36,815 per Annum
- Shri Ramswaroop Memorial University, Lucknow – 2 Lakhs per Annum
Colleges & Universities Offering M.Tech Electrical Engineering
Based on your marks, you can get admission into the college or university. If you score the highest marks in the GATE exam, you can get admission to the top university of India.
Some of the top institutions that offer M.Tech Electrical Engineering throughout the country are given below.
- IIT Kanpur
- IIT Bombay
- IIT Roorkee
- IIT Kharagpur
- IISc Bangalore
- NIT Raipur
- SVNIT Surat
- Motilal Nehru National Institue of Technology
- SPCE Mumbai
- Chandigarh University
- Lovely Professional University, Jalandhar
- Sandip University
- DIT University, Dehradun
- Sona College of Technology, Salem
- BITS, Pilani
- Osmania University, Telangana
- JNTU, Hyderabad
- Andhra University, Vishakapatnam
- Poornima University, Jaipur
- REVA University, Bangalore
Career Prospects & Job Profile
Your hard work, determination, and skills that you possess while pursuing M.Tech Electrical Engineering will lead you towards success in your career.
After graduating Master’s in Electrical Engineering, you have plenty of job opportunities. You can find jobs as an electrical engineer in both private and public-sector companies.
Some of the top-government sectors that recruit specialists in M.Tech Electrical Engineering are Indian Railways, BHEL, HAL, BSNL, Electricity Boards, Defense, Hydroelectric Power Plants, Thermal Power Plants, and many more.
Apart from that, you can also get placed in various private companies, like manufacturing units, telecommunication, IT Companies,
You can also enter into the teaching field and become a professor in the top universities and colleges.
The job positions differ from the companies you join. For your information, we are listing out a few of them.
- Senior Product Manager
- Hardware Design Engineer
- Software Architect
- Senior Electrical Engineer
- Electrical Engineer
- General Manager
- Senior Application Engineer
- Shift Supervisor
On average, the annual salary after graduating in M.Tech Electrical Engineering ranges from 3.50 to 10 Lakhs per Annum. You can get more than 10 LPA if you studied in IITs or NITs and passed out with the highest merit percentage.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is Electrical Engineering Hard?
Almost all the branches in Engineering are the same. Based on your interest, you can choose the stream in your Engineering. In Electrical Engineering, you will study electronics, electricity, electromagnetism, and others.
This field helps you in converting your knowledge to develop and design various electrical devices, such as GPS devices, phones, appliances, etc.
Which Branch is Best for M.Tech in Electrical?
Picking up the specialization or branch in M.Tech Electrical Engineering is completely depends on your interest, job openings, and further studies. Some of the best branches that offer most of the colleges/universities in India are:
- Control and Instrumentation
- Power Systems
- Instrumentation and Signal Processing
- Power Electronics and Machine Drives
What is the Salary of Electrical Engineer from IIT?
According to the reports, the average salary offered by the IIT after graduating in Electrical Engineering in India is around 15 to 20 Lakhs per Annum.
Final Words: Conclusion
Hopefully, this blog helped you in knowing everything about the M.Tech in Electrical Engineering. If you still have any doubts or want to know anything, you can feel free to ask us.
Just type your question in the below comment box, and we will reach you within a short time. To get the latest updates from our side, subscribe to our blog immediately.