Today we will be talking about the Music Courses after 12th, careers in music, Eligibility Criteria for Music Courses and everything you need to know about music courses.
If you are a music lover and have a passion for music, then you should definitely long for a career in the music industry. Music is not just a beautiful way to express your feelings but also one of the best career choices in today’s generation.
If you think India doesn’t give preference to music as a career you are probably wrong. Initially in schools music is considered as a co-curricular activity but as you complete your intermediate you will find various music courses after 12th.
As music is a passion, we can’t compare it with any profession. Music is a way of expressing your emotions and inner thoughts through sound.
In this article, we will discuss how and where you should start your career in music and about various music courses after 12th in detail.
Courses in Music
If you want to pursue a career in music, you can do these following courses in Music:
Diploma in Music
Diploma in Music is a diploma course that lasts for one year divided in two semesters.
This music courses after 12th deals with theoretical composition and mostly practical implementation of musical knowledge that help you to pursue a career in music.
Diploma in music can be done in regular mode or you can also apply for distance learning mode.
This course provides you with a broad area of specializations in music like vocal, classical music, Hindustani music, etc.
After completing your Diploma in Music course you can achieve jobs in the music industry as a Music Editor, Artist, Music Director, Composer, Advertising Specialist, Bandleader, Disc Jockey, etc.
Eligibility Criteria for Diploma in Music
If you want to pursue a Diploma in Music you must meet the following eligibility criteria
- No specified age limit for this course.
- The candidate must have completed their intermediate or bachelor’s degree from a recognized board.
- Some government recognized institutions require candidates to give a common entrance test.
Diploma in music courses list
- Diploma in Audio Engineering
- Diploma in Hindustani Classical
- Diploma in Music Production
- Pre Diploma Foundation Course in Hindustani Classical Vocal Music
Job options after Diploma in Music
After completing the course of Diploma in music successfully, candidates can apply in many companies like national capital arts , Bollywood, television shows, etc.
If they want they can either work as a freelancer or they can start-up their own studios.
Some of the job options after a Diploma in music are as a Composer, Sound Designer, Studio Musician, Music Producer, Instrumentalist, Music Critic, Concert Band Instructor, etc.
Fee Structure for Diploma in Music
Fee structure for Diploma in Music varies from college to college on the basis of their placement, infrastructure, faculty, etc.
In India the average fees of top colleges offering Diploma in Music is around INR 50,000 – INR 2 LPA.
Salary after Diploma in Music
The salary after a Diploma in Music is different for different job profiles. It depends on designation, job location, and your experience in that field.
The average salary after Diploma in Music is around INR 2 LPA – INR 4 LPA.
Higher Education after Diploma in Music
After completion of a one year course of Diploma you can apply for a higher education that will help you to learn about the courses in greater depth and detail. It will also help you to build a better career.
Some of the higher education options after Diploma in Music are
Certificate Courses in Music
Certificate courses in music are short-term music courses after 12th for the duration of 3 months to 12 months. It is available for 1 week also in both online and offline mode.
These courses are available as both regular and as correspondence courses. The correspondence courses in music can take approx 2 years to complete.
The certificate courses give you a basic knowledge about music history, its theory, keyboard skills, etc and also provides you practical knowledge of music.
The Certificate courses in music should be opted by those students who have a passion for music and have any prior knowledge and experience in the music field. However, it’s not mandatory for every college.
Through these courses students will get experience in the writing field, performing, and understanding music that create a solid foundation.
Eligibility Criteria for Certificate courses in Music
The eligibility criteria for Certificate courses in music is after completion of 10+2 from a recognised board.
The candidate applying for this course must have interest in music and have prior knowledge in this field.
Certificate courses in music list
- Certificate in Drums
- Certificate in Harmonium
- Certificate in Guitar
- Certificate in Keyboard
- Certificate in Flute
- Grade Certificate Program in Music
- Certificate program inLive Sound Engineering
Job opportunities after Certificate courses in music
After the completion of Certificate courses in music, you can apply for jobs in media industry, TV Channels, Film Industry, Advertising Companies, Production Houses, Music Industry, etc
Some of the job options after Certificate courses in music are as a Singer, Music Editor, Musician, Music Director, Music Teacher, Music Composer, etc
After completing these courses you can work as a freelancer for various clients or you can work full-time or part time for a specific company or an employer.
Fee structure for Certificate courses in music
The fee structure for Certificate courses in music ranges from INR 3,000- INR 70,000 per annum depending on the college you are applying to.
Salary after Certificate courses in music
The average salary after Certificate courses in music is around INR 2 LPA to INR 10 LPA.
International Certification Courses in Music
For candidates who want to pursue any International Certification course in music, many online courses are provided by various colleges, institutes and universities all over the world so that they can gain knowledge in the music field of their choice.
Basically, the duration of these courses is 6 weeks to 1 year and after the completion of courses and clearing the exams conducted by the institutions successfully you can get certificates at rational prices.
International Certification courses in music list
- Complete Electronic Music Composition: This course is provided by Point Black Music School (Music school in London, England). The duration for this course to complete is 6 months. The average fee for this course is INR 1,50,000.
- Certificate Course in Hindustani Raga Sangeet: This course is provided by Swayam (World’s biggest Massive Open Online Courses, MOOCs). The duration for this course to get complete is 12 weeks. This course is free of cost.
- Modern Pop Vocal Production: This course is provided by Soundfly (Online music school). The duration for this course to complete is 6 weeks. The average fee for this course is INR 50,000/.
- Music Production Master Diploma: This course is provided by Point Black Music School London, England. The duration of this course to get complete is 1 Year or 2 Years. The average fee for this course is INR 2,80,000/.
- Learn Jazz Piano (Advanced and Solo Playing): This course is provided by Goldsmiths University of London. The duration of this course to get complete is 6 weeks. The average fee for this course is INR 8,000/-
- Music Theory for Electronic Musician: This course is provided by Creativelive (online classes). The average fee for this music course is INR 2,000/.
UG Courses in Music
The undergraduate courses in music are available for students who want to pursue a career in music. The duration of these courses is 3 to 4 years and are offered across various colleges and institutes all over India.
The three undergraduate courses available in music are: BA (Hons in Music), BPA (Music) and BFA (Music).
Eligibility criteria for undergraduate courses in music
- The candidates are required to complete their10+2 from a recognised board in any stream (Science, Commerce & arts) with a minimum aggregate of 45 to 50%.
- The candidates having interest in music and have prior knowledge of that will be given preference over competitors in selection.
Bachelor of Music (B.M. or BMus)
Bachelor of Music is an undergraduate degree course in music provided by various colleges, and universities. It is a professional degree course that lasts for 3 to 4 years.
The degrees offered under Bachelor in music are
- Bachelor of Music in Performance (Contemporary Style) – In this course students can gain expertise in guitar, drum, bass, vocal and keyboard)
- Bachelor of Music in Songwriting and Production – This course is provided to the students who want to become songwriters in the music industry. It develops skills which allow the graduates to write and produce their own music or for other artists.
- Bachelor of Music in Composition – It includes the study of composition which helps the graduates to make a career as composer of various musical soundtracks for TV industry, film industry, online media, etc.
In this course, a wide range of topics are covered like music composition, music computing, songwriting, practical aspects of recording, music production skills, etc
Bachelor of Arts (B.A) in Music
Bachelor of Arts in Music is an undergraduate degree course that takes 3 years to complete.
In this course students gain knowledge in the history of music, composing, study of music theory, voice instruction, etc.
After the completion of Bachelor of Arts in Music graduates can apply for jobs in both public and private sectors.
Students can apply for the following job roles after completing Bachelor of Arts in Music
- Band Leader
- Art Director
- Music Teacher
- Artist & Repertoire Person
- Film Music Director/Editor
- Disc Jockey
- Film Music Director/Editor, etc
The fees for this course range from INR 5,000 to 1 LPA depending on the location, facilities and infrastructure of the college or university.
Bachelor of Performing Arts (BPA) in Music
Bachelor of Performing Arts (BPA) in music is a full-time undergraduate degree course that offers specialization in the dynamic music industry and helps in improving their skills in music to a professional level.
The duration of BPA in music is 3 to 4 years and is offered by various colleges and universities all over the country.
The eligibility criteria for BPA in music is 10+2 with a minimum aggregate of 45% to 50%.
Admission in this course is merit-based or through entrance exams conducted by the institution.
After completing this course students can get jobs as Musician, Sound Artists, Music Therapist, Animation artists, etc.
The average salary after BPA in music ranges between INR 3 LPA to INR 7 LPA. This salary differs from college to college according to the job profile.
The graduates can also go for higher studies after the completion of this course such as
- Master of Performing Arts
- MA (Music)
- MPhil (Music), etc.
PG Courses in Music
The duration of PG courses in Music is 1- 2 years and these courses are available in offline mode and also in Distance Study.
The candidates who have completed any vocal or instrumental undergraduate course in music with a minimum aggregate of 45% to 50% are eligible for PG courses in music.
To get admission in this course the candidates need to sit for a national level entrance exam.
The courses offered are
- A. (Hons.) in Vocal Music
- Master of Performing Arts in Musicology
- Master of Instruments (Indian/ Western)
- Master of Fine Arts in Music (M.F.A.)
- Masters in Music Production
- Master of Sound Designing
- Master of Performing Arts in Music (M.P.A)
The fee structure for this course is INR 50,000 to 5 LPA.
Job Profiles after music course
Some other job options in music are Producer, Copyist, Music editor, Sound designer, Choir director, Arranger, Music teacher, Music supervisor, Music publisher, Recording engineer, Studio Manager, Music director, Transcriber, Music sequencer, Advertising executive, etc.
Types of Music
The branches or types of music courses after the 12th in which you can take admission are follows
|Fields of music||Types of music all over the world||Types of music in India|
|Song writing||Classical Music||Folk Music|
|Composition||Electronic Music||Patriotism Music|
|Music Education||Metal Music||Carnatic Music|
|Music Production and Engineering||Rap||Hindustani Music|
|Jazz Composition||Blues||Jazz & Blues|
|Contemporary Writing and Production||Rock Music||Popular Music|
|Electronic Production and Design||Latin Music||Western Classical Music|
|Film Scoring||Country Music||Light Classical Music|
|Professional Music||Rhythm & Blues||–|
|Music Business/Management||Punk music||–|