After the 1980s, most people were aware of the uses of computer. At that time, most the sectors were quite dependent on the computer. The rapid growth of technology in terms of computers has increased the demand of professionals who will be able to make use of and operate computers so that productive and innovation in the business can be increased.
Considering the fact, these days a lot of universities and colleges are offering computer courses to students and encouraging them to opt for bachelors and masters degree in Computer Science and Applications. In case a student is planning to do Ph. D after getting a Master’s Degree in Computer Application (MCA) then there are some important and relevant factors which need to be kept in mind.
This article provides the details of benefits, application process, educational qualifications etc. if someone wants to pursue Ph. D after MCA.
Is it possible to do PhD after MCA in India?
When a student to pursue PhD after completing his or her MCA, first it is important to find out if it is possible to do PhD after completing MCA in India. The answer is yes, it is possible to do so provided they have a proper research thesis along with a valid qualifying score in GATE and NET examination in India.
However, in case someone wants to apply for a PhD after completing MCA there are certain criteria which must be fulfilled. Some of the essential requirements for pursuing a PhD in India (more specifically from IIT or IGNOU) as well as abroad are mentioned below;
- The candidate must have completed MCA with a minimum score of 50% and also must be NET qualified. (If the candidate wants to take admission in IGNOU more specifically)
- The candidate must have completed MCA with a CGPA score of 6.0 along with a valid GATE score. (If the candidate want to take admission in IIT more specifically)
- The candidate must qualify GRE and submit a well-analyzed written research proposal if he or she wants to pursue PhD in countries such as United Kingdom(UK), Canada, the United States of America (USA), etc.
Is it a right decision to do PhD after MCA?
With the rapid growth and innovation in the field of computer education, a career choice in computer application is a great choice in terms of picking form a large number of aspirants in this career. The jobs in the field of computer application are mostly promising and also guarantee a dynamic work environment.
Apart from that, with the advancement of technology, there has been a great popularity to opt for different computer science courses. In most of the cases, computer professionals, largely concentrate on application part of the computer science part instead of the theoretical aspect.
But, with a PhD degree after MCA provide the expertise over research and analysis on the subject and also, the scope of job opportunities after PhD are also higher. While having an MCA degree, it will only provide a basic knowledge of the course but having a PhD provides an opportunity to get in depth knowledge and research on the subject.
Duration of PhD after MCA
The minimum duration of PhD after MCA is 3 years which can be extended to 2 years more i.e. 5 years maximum depending upon the university as well as the course program opted for PhD. Apart from that, the duration may also vary depending upon the specialization of the PhD and also the research paper the student will be working on.
List of Top Universities for PhD in Computer Applications & Computer Science in India
The following are some of the top universities in India for PhD for computer application and computer science after completing MCA;
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
- Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
- Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
- Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), Delhi
- Lovely Professional University (LPU), Punjab
- Pondicherry University, Pondicherry
- University College of Engineering, Hyderabad
- Karunya University, Coimbatore
- University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad
- Symbiosis Institute of Studies & Research (SICSR), Pune
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata
- Chennai Mathematical Institute, Chennai
- Indian Institute of Engineering Science& Technology (IIEST), Kolkata
- Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU)
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
- The National Institute of Engineering, Mysore
List of Top Universities for PhD in Computer Applications & Computer Science outside India (Abroad)
Considering the chances of getting admission into a foreign university is a hectic job as compared to getting admission in an Indian University. However, it is not impossible to get into a good university abroad provided a candidate gets proper guidance on the process.
Research scholars all over the world aspire to study in prestigious universities providing a good environment and facilitation for good research, discovering the innovative solutions to the problems and analytical skills.
Moreover, colleges and universities mostly provide consultation service to promote change in the society, community and organization as a whole. Some of the top universities outside India for PhD for computer application and computer science after completing MCA are mentioned below;
- Queensland University of Technology, Australia
- University of Technology Sydney, Australia
- Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand
- KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden
- Trinity College, Ireland
- National University of Singapore, Singapore
- University of Liverpool, United Kingdom (UK)
- University of Calgary, Canada
- University of Malaysia, Malaysia
- University of Göttingen, Germany
- Kadir Has University, Turkey
- Yale University, United States of America (USA)
How to Apply for PhD after MCA in India?
It is often recommended that, it is good to go through the website of the university to apply for a specified course. However, to make things much more easily, a stepwise process of the application process is provided here in order to help the candidate to increase the chances of getting a PhD admission in the university of his or her choice. The stepwise details are as follows;
- Identification of the universities by browsing through the websites and analysis of desired course
- Visiting through the faculty department of the university a candidate is planning to submit an application and contact the professor who has similar interests as that of the candidate.
- Candidate must keep the SOP or research pitch ready to be submitted to the professor along with the relevant experience documents
- Candidate has to appear in the English Language Proficiency Test and qualify the same with a good score.
- Get ready the LORs from professional and academic references
- After all the aforesaid process, the candidate can apply in the desire field of specialization through the website of the university.
Process of Admission of PhD after MCA in India
As mentioned above, there are certain criteria to be fulfilled to become eligible to get admission in PhD after MCA in India. The details whereof are as follows;
- The candidate must pass the Proficiency Test of English Language including PTE, IELTS or TOEFL.
- Additionally, the candidate may require qualifying GRE exam depending upon the criteria of admission of some specific universities.
- The candidate must have a well-analyzed written research paper and a strong portfolio, good work experience to speed up the chances of selection in order to take admission in PhD abroad.
- The candidate also requires qualifying NET and GATE examination in order to pursue PhD specifically in India.
- To get selected in a PhD program in India, a candidate must have a well-analyzed and detailed research proposal.
How to Apply for PhD after MCA outside India?
Firstly, it is good to go through the website of the university to apply for a specified course. However, to make things much more easily, a stepwise process of the application process is provided here in order to help the candidate to increase the chances of getting a PhD admission in the university of his or her choice. The stepwise details are as follows;
- Firstly, the candidate needs to keep ready the pitch of research idea or an SOP to be submitted to a professor of the chosen university.
- Getting ready of the LORs for professional and academic references.
- Identification of the universities and analyzing through the desired course from the website of the chosen university.
- Candidate must qualify for the English language proficiency test with a good score.
- Check the go through the faculty of department of the university on its official website and obtain the contact of a professor who has similar interest as that of the candidate.
- Lastly, apply on the website of the chosen university with all the relevant information and documents.
Why Choose to Pursue a Doctorate Degree in Computer Application?
The following are some of the reasons of choosing a PhD degree in computer application;
- High Demand: the demand of PhD scholars has been increasing over the time. A large number of multinational corporations are looking forward to hire PhD holders in order to fill the top positions in their organizations. By the year 2022, there is an increase in the number of jobs in the field of computer application.
- Teaching: As mentioned above, the demand for expert in the field of computer application is extremely high and with the rapid growth in the demands, teachers in this filed will get paid very well.
- Research-Based Work: Most of the research and lab-based companies are looking forward to hire PhD candidates specialized in computer application.
The following are some of the career opportunities after pursuing PhD in Computer Science and Computer Application;
- Software Developer
- Computer Hardware Engineer
- Big Data Analyst
- Computer Data Researcher
- Computer Data Analyst
- Professor at an University
- Information Research Scientist
- Data Modeler
- Computer Network Architect
- Information Technology Manager
- Security Architect
Advantages of Pursing PhD in Computer Application
The following are some of the benefits after pursuing PhD in computer application;
- As mentioned earlier, the demand of PhD candidates in field of computer application has been growing over the years and it is also predicted that it will keep on increasing with time.
- The field of computer application is interesting to explore on and fascinating as well.
- In terms of numbers of computing fields is quite high in field of research in computer science. Some of the interesting areas are Quantum computers, data mining, cloud computing, nanotechnology, artificial intelligence, robotics, statistical computing, networking etc.
- If a candidate is aspired to work in NASA or ISRO, having a PhD degree in computer application will be an added advantage.
- After getting a PhD degree in computer application, the average monthly salary of a fresher PhD scholar will be between INR 50K to INR 2 lacs in a month.
- The prospective of getting a chance to work in a foreign location will also be high for a PhD scholar in computer application.
What is the duration of PhD after completing MCA?
Generally, the minimum duration of PhD after MCA is 3 years which can be extended to 2 years more i.e. 5 years maximum depending upon the university as well as the course program opted for PhD in India. In foreign countries the maximum duration is 6-7 years depending upon the university and program selected.
Is it possible to do PhD possible after MCA?
Yes, it is possible to do so provided they have a proper research thesis along with a valid qualifying score in GATE and NET examination in India. However, in case someone wants to apply for a PhD after completing MCA outside India, there are certain criteria which must be fulfilled such as qualifying the GRE exams as well as exams like TOEFL, PTE and IELTS.
Can a MCA graduate pursue a PhD in computer application abroad?
Yes, it is possible for a MCA graduate pursue a PhD in computer application abroad.There are certain criteria which must be fulfilled such as qualifying the GRE exams as well as exams like TOEFL, PTE and IELTS.
How to pursue PhD after MCA?
Firstly, with regard to pursue PhD after MCA, one must check on the top universities and colleges offering the courses for PhD in computer application. Understand the criteria of admission as prescribed by a selected university. A good score in NET and GATE examination is required in order to study PhD in India.